I’ve gone on about this brew a bit too much, but I’m excited about it and I shan’t apologise! I wanted to try to clone Hawkshead’s NZPA, I really don’t like the term ‘clone’ as it implies success before you even roll your sleeves up. I prefer to say that it’s a bad copy of the original. We’ll see. So, it was a late brewday and didn’t mash in until 19:40. Add to this a hard week at work and an ill-thought-out trip to the pub on the way home to imbibe some Anchor Old Foghorn. Despite these things, it was probably the most straightforward brew I’ve done.
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol (ABV): 6.1%
Colour (SRM): 7.0 (EBC): 13.8
Bitterness (IBU): 45.9 (Average)
3.8kg Golden Promise Pale Malt
0.150kg Pale Wheat Malt
0.150kg Munich I
0.150 Melanoidin Malt
15g Green Bullet (12.7% Alpha) (First Wort)
10g Motueka (7.8% Alpha) @30 Minutes (Boil)
10g NZ Cascade (8.5% Alpha) @30 Minutes (Boil)
15g Motueka (7.8% Alpha) @10 Minutes (Boil)
15g NZ Cascade (8.5% Alpha) @10 Minutes (Boil)
75g Motueka (7.8% Alpha) @0 Minutes (steep @80C)
75g NZ Cascade (8.5% Alpha) @0 Minutes (steep @80C)
Water treatments: Campden tablet (HLT), 1 tsp gypsum (mash). My weighing scales aren’t great and I only require 3-4g, which is a tsp (approx). Same rule for the epsom salts in the boil. I really should start looking at my water profile to suit beer style.
Strike temp of 75C, 12.0L liquor for 4.8kg grain. Mashed in at 66C (single step infusion).
Mashed for 60 minutes and temp remained constant. Sparged at 78C (strike temp 86C), 20.60L liquor. First runnings from the mash were 1.090 20C. Didn’t take a pre-boil gravity, whoops.
First wort hops were Green Bullet. I haven’t added hops in this way many times, but may start to do so as standard, my thinking here is that the software tells me ‘X’ IBU’s, but in reality it’s probably a lower extraction than that? Anyway, as more experienced folk than me keep saying, we (the beer-drinking humans) can’t detect the difference of 5IBU’s either way.
Added the all important protofloc tablet at 15 minutes and remembered to add my immersion chiller this time! At 80C I added the 150g of Motueka and Cascade. Cooled the wort down to 22C and then transferred to the FV, pitching the dry US05 yeast in about half way through the run-off. I’ve started doing this with dry yeast as the drop to the FV aerates the wort and means I don’t need to sanitise a spoon / one less risk of introducing nasties.
Collected my target of 21L of wort post boil with SG of 1.056. Slightly above my target of 1.054, but nothing worth worrying about. If the yeast attenuates as per my guesswork it’ll make the beer 6.4%. A tad stronger than NZPA, but who’s counting!
I’ll be dry hopping in the FV with Nelson Sauvin at a rate of 4.8g/L. I’d use more if I had it.
Update: 08/10/12 Dry hopped with 100g Nelson Sauvin and 50g Motueka (7.1g/l).
Update: 22/10/12 Bottled 18L, batch primed with 45g sugar syrup (2.5g/l). FG 1.010 (6.1%).
Update: 18/12/12 I already knew it, but you can’t win them all. As I feared this brew has issues. Due to illness the beer was left in the FV on the yeast for way too long and then dry hopped at a ridiculous rate for 14 days. I knew it was going to have an adverse effect but I was laid-up so nothing I could do about it. The beer has a musty, yeasty aroma and taste, verging on an infected/clove taste. It’s a real disappointment, but it reminds me that a lot of the brewing process is about controlling the variables that can consign your beer to the sink. I’ll have to brew it again, rethink my dry hopping and stay fit and well!