AG#38 Strong Golden Ale – Damn Nation II

wpid-img_20150111_084002.jpg

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (corrected after adding yeast starter / see below)
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006
Alcohol (ABV): 8.1%
Colour (EBC): 8
Bitterness (IBU): 24 (Average)

5.00kg Dingemans Pilsen Malt
0.12kg Pale Wheat Malt
1.00kg Belgian Candi Sugar (clear)

100g Savinjski Golding (pellet) (2.2% Alpha) @90 minutes from the end (boil)
50g Saaz (pellet) (4.1% Alpha) @0 minutes from the end (boil)

WLP 545 Belgian Strong Ale Yeast (liquid) 2.0L starter

I’ve brewed Strong Golden Ale before and it turned out well.  A few tweaks to the recipe, notably swapping WLP500 for WLP545, and substituting Styrian Golding for Savinjski.  Owing to the very low AA% of the Savinjski, I opted to stick with the hop variety but put all 100g in at the beginning of the boil and drop the 30 minute addition.  I worried about these changes for all of 30 seconds, quickly finding comfort in the words of Stan Hieronymus – in his excellent book, Brew Like a Monk –  “remember, brewing is about choices!“.  If you’ve read the book, or tried to brew from it, you’ll know that the recipes within only offer a range to work in.

It was a decent brewday, no drama.  I decided early on that I would brew to my recipe but not get hung up on temperature / volume / gravity / readings.  I’ve found that targets can detract from the fun of brewing a beer.  I know they can be important, but not today.  The usual bit:  For the mash: 5.12kg grain, 13.5L liquor at a strike temperature of 78C. This got me a 67C mash temp, which held for 90 minutes.  Sparged at 76C 18.3L liquor.  The copper I’m using isn’t calibrated, so I didn’t take a pre boil volume. Pre boil gravity was 1.052.

90 minute boil (added the candi sugar at 15 minutes from the end of the boil).  Post boil I collected 17L of wort, with an OG of 1.072.  As you can see from the photo, the Dingemans Pilsen Malt was good to its word “light in colour and low in protein”.

wpid-img_20150111_134700.jpg

Pitched the 1.040 2.0L yeast starter at 20C.  I’m making a guesstimate at this point, as I know that I need to adjust my original gravity to include the yeast starter.  Feel free to correct me on this, but I opted to use an average gravity reading for the blend of starter and post boil wort.  I borrowed this from the internet:

( ( OG1 * V1 ) + ( OG2 * V2 ) ) / ( V1 + V2 ) = SG

Where…

  • OG1 is the original gravity of your starter wort (1.040)
  • V1 is the volume of your starter wort (2)
  • OG2 is the original gravity of your wort (1.072)
  • V2 is the volume of your wort (17)
  • SG is the specific gravity of the blend (1.068)

I’ll be sending a few bottles of this over to the good folk at the Beer O’Clock Show, and will be tasted and tested by the other participants in Season 6 of their homebrew special.  So there we have it….Take 2 of a beer I’ve enjoyed brewing, and fingers crossed, I’ll enjoy drinking!

Craft Sparge Monitor.  1 strike = 1 litre

Craft Sparge Monitor.
1 strike = 1 litre

Update 14/01/15 1.046
Update 19/01/15 1.022
Update 22/01/15 1.012
Update 26/01/15 1.008
Update 05/02/15 1.006 bottled. Batch primed 17L with 100g sugar. (6g/l)

AG#12 Broadford Summer Ale

Brewed a Blonde Ale today for a birthday BBQ next month.  Planned to brew a low abv, modestly bittered, easy drinking summer ale to suit as many of our guests as possible.  It’ll be dispensed from a 20L polypin and hand pump and am reliably informed that there will be no need to prime the beer as the sparkler will do all the work for me.  Proper Northern!

This is just a quick write up for my records and for anyone interested in keeping track of what I’m up to.

I had one hiccup on this brewday. I had a rather worrying discrepency between the SG reading pre and post boil.  I haven’t had chance to work out where I went wrong, but I’ll do better next time.  It may be time to invest in a refractometer so that I can take instant SG readings of hot wort.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 18.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 3.83 %
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 21.4 (Average)

70% Maris Otter
14% Golden Promise
11% Munich I
5% Pale Wheat Malt

20g UK Cascade (5.69% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10g UK Cascade (5.69% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
35g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
6g UK Cascade (5.69% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
26g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 70 Minutes.  Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Strike temp of 75C and 10.0L liquor for 3.73kg grain.  Mashed in at 67C.

Mashed for 70 minutes and temp remained constant.  Sparged at 83C, 22.6L liquor.  Collected 29L wort (pre boil) at specific gravity (SG) of 1.042 (1st runnings SG of 1.080 at 39C).

Due to time contraints I had to cut my boil volume to 25L.  First hop addition of 20g UK Cascade at 60 minutes.  Second additions of UK Cascade (10g) and Saaz (35g) at 10 minutes.  Added a protofloc tablet at 15 minutes, and a third copper addition of  Saaz (26g) and UK Cascade (6g).

Collected 22L of wort post boil with SG of 1.036.  Cooled to 20C and dry pitched my yeast.  Back to liquid yeast for my next brew!

I’ll be dry hopping this with some more Saaz.

A few more photos of the brewday here.