I recently blogged about my intention to brew a Texas Brown Ale. More about it here.
Here’s the writeup from the brewday last week (28/02/14). This beer is destined for the Northern Craft Brewers & Saltaire Brewery bar. Brown hoppy craft cask ale. No filtration, no pasteurisation, no pressurisation, no vitriol.
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol (ABV): 5.1%
Colour (EBC): 50.4
Bitterness (IBU): 48.9 (Average)
3.30kg Golden Promise Pale Malt (Simpsons)
0.50kg Biscuit Malt (Dingemans)
0.25kg Dark Crystal Malt
0.25kg Chocolate Malt
0.25kg Pale Wheat Malt (toasted)
10g Columbus (Tomahawk) (16.5% Alpha) @60 minutes from the end (boil)
12g Brewer’s Gold (7.5% Alpha) @30 minutes from the end (boil)
88g Brewer’s Gold (7.5% Alpha) @10 minutes from the end (boil)
50g Columbus (Tomahawk) (16.5% Alpha) @0 minutes from the end (boil)
100g US Cascade (pellets) (5.8% Alpha) dry hop
Safale US05 yeast.
Strike temp of 75C, 12.0L liquor for 4.55kg grain. Mashed in at 65C (single step infusion). Mashed for 75 minutes. First runnings 1.090. Sparged at 76C 19.0L liquor. Collected 24L at 1.046. 60 minute boil.
I collected 17L of wort, post boil, with an OG of 1.056. Liquored back with 2.0L cooled boiled water to 19L with an OG of 1.048
Pitched US05 yeast starter at 19C.
Update: 03/03/14 1.040
I’ll be transferring to secondary and adding 100g US Cascade pellets for 3-5 days.
Update: 12/03/14 FG 1.012 (4.8%) Dry hopped with 100g US Cascade pellets (in primary).
N.B. My last brewday led me to look at my efficiencies. I got in a right muddle and was rescued by a professor of brewing, loosely associated with Stringers Brewery. I applied the prof’s maths to my numbers from this brew. And I calculated my Mash Efficincy as 80% and my Brewhouse Efficiency as 69%. Workings out, below.
Pale malt: 3.5 kg @ 293 L.deg per kilo = 1025.5
Biscuit malt: 0.5 @ 273 = 136.5
Dark crystal malt: 0.25 kg @ 275 = 68.75
Chocolate malt: 0.25 @ 273 = 68.25
wheat malt: 0.25 @ 296 = 74.0
Total potential extract 1025.5 + 136.5 + 68.75 + 68.25 +74.0 = 1373 litre.degrees
My runnings from the mash were 24 litres at 1.046 Specific Gravity, so: 24 litres x 46 degrees = 1104 litre.degrees
My mash efficiency is something like…
1104/1373 = 0.804 = 80%
Post-boil, I ended up with…
17L @ 1.056 i.e 17 x 56 = 952 and 952/1373 = 0.693
That is 69.0% which I’m calling my brewhouse efficiency.
A couple of photos:
The toasted wheat malt
First runnings from the mash
The final colour